Cutting Ties

When To Cut Ties




I have a friend that comes around and causes havoc in my life. He is an old boyfriend. He is a nice person generally but he serves a master that I no longer want to serve, addiction. I have told him that I want to change, and work on my issues but he hasn't heeded my words. Since his addiction is his master, everyone else will be put aside. He lives in my apartment complex which makes it harder to get rid of him.

So I thought that I could explain to him my desires and wants, hoping he was a true friend and respect them. I was mistaking. He backed off for awhile and gave me some room but he feeds off my weaknesses. He is an Energy Vampire. He sucks all the energy and life out of me so that I can not move forward in my life. So guess what, I had to try something different to get him to leave me alone.

My next attempt was to post a sign on my door most of the time to keep him from knocking on my door. He has ignored the sign more times than he should. I don't think he realizes that he is being disrespectful by ignoring my sign. He also disregards my attempts to reprimand him for knocking on the door. The sign says, "Working Call or Text". Which sounds pretty straight forward. I am busy, so don't bother me.

My last attempt was trying to ignore him and being short with him. I would see him and gesture an acknowledgment but would not speak. I would also be abrupt when he showed up unexpectedly, by saying what did you want. I refused to let him use my cell phone to call people because he should have one of his own. His master makes him spend all his money every month.

I wasn't sure before which one of these times was the right time to cut him off but I now know that I have to cut him off now. I will stop by and state that I can no longer keep you in my life, please do not bother me anymore. I know from my previous experiences that he will keep trying but I can not respond to him. I think not speaking or answering the door when he comes over will help. I am sure he will eventually get why I am doing it. 

I know that cutting ties is hard. There are a lot of people who are having the same problems but can't proceed to the next step of action. I have been getting help from my Therapist and there is this site called Life Hack that has plenty of self-help ideas and will also give you suggestion to relieve the stress that you receive from this. I hope this was hopeful and it is true so please leave a comment below.

Comments